Search This Blog

Popular books

BookBox: embed book widget, share book list

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

I am not Esther by Fleur Beale

I am not Esther  Reviewed by Meche` Phillips

I enjoyed reading this novel about a young, Auckland girl who is forced to live in a religious sect with her Uncle and his family after her mother abandons her.
Through out the novel, Kirby has to decide which girl she wants to be. She is given a new name, new clothes and a new set of rules to live by.
She notices she is changing as she becomes influenced by the religious sect and struggles to come to terms with the way her mother left her.
I liked the way the book is written from Kirby's perspective and to understand her point of view as she struggles to piece together her mother's secret.
I would recommend this book to both boys and girls from year 9 to 13.



No comments: